Adding This Weird Oil To Your Coffee Has Amazing Benefits...(Recipe Video Inside)
We're sure by now you have seen something about coconut oil somewhere in your life. Dr. Oz has done a special on coconut oil, it is all over the internet, and chances are there is a friend or family member out there who RAVES about coconut oil. Well, there is a reason why so many people are jumping onto the coconut oil bandwagon... this stuff is MAGICAL!! Ok... well, it is as close to magical as we can possibly get.
Why Was Coconut Oil Shunned Until Recently?
Coconut oil was at one point shunned by many as it is a saturated fat and we have been programmed to believe that saturated fats are horrible for our health by clogging our arteries and increasing heart complications. The truth is, coconuts (juice, flesh, and oils) have been consumed by people in tropical regions, such as Japan and The Philippines, for centuries and they are some of the healthiest people on the planet. Science is just now catching up to the beneficial powers of this tropical fruit!
What are the Benefits of Coconut Oil?
(Note: Some of these goes hand in hand, so you will see a bit of repetition)
1. Boosts Metabolism:
- Coconut oil contains Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which are metabolized differently and also promotes thermogenesis which increases metabolism and produces energy.
- Unlike most fatty acids, which are Long Chain Triglycerides, MCT's pass directly through the liver to be immediately converted to energy and burns fat more effectively.
- Coconut oil also boosts thyroid function which is responsible for increasing metabolism, energy, and endurance.
2. Increases Energy:
- Because coconut oil is one of the richest sources of MCT, it assists in increasing metabolic rate, increasing weight loss, and promotes thermogenesis, increasing metabolism and produces energy.
- It aids by boosting thyroid function which helps increase energy and endurance.
3. Promotes Weight Control:
- Healthy MCT Saturated fats break down in the liver which leads to efficient burning of energy.
- Coconut oil positively affects hormones for thyroid and blood sugar controls. This helps improve insulin use in the body and boosts thyroid function for increase metabolism, energy, and endurance leading to an increase in weight control or weight loss.
- Again, thanks to the MCT's, coconut oil doesn't turn into fat once it enters the body because it directly converts to energy, burning fat more effectively, increasing metabolism, which increases weight loss, and promotes thermogenesis (increases metabolism and produces energy- wow... I feel like a broken record!)
- A 2009 study found that women who consumed about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil everyday for twelve (12) consecutive weeks did not gain more weight and also decreased levels of abdominal fat.
4. Improves Mental Health:
- When MCT's are metabolized, they are either broken down directly in the liver to be used as a
source of energy or they are turned into "ketone" bodies which have therapeutic affects on brain disorders such as epilepsy and Alzheimer's.
5. Increases Digestion:
- Coconut oil assists in increasing digestion by positively affecting hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control.
- Coconut oil is over 90% saturated fat, this increases the bioavailability of other nutrients by helping absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
6. Improves Cholesterol:
- Coconut oil contains Lauric Acid which is a type of MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) saturated fat.
- Lauric acid increases the amount of good HDL Cholesterol in the blood helping to improve the cholesterol ratio levels.
- Promotes conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone, lowering cholesterol levels.
- Restores normal thyroid functions to help control bad cholesterol levels.
7. Boosts Immunity:
- Coconut oil contains antioxidants which helps against the aging process by protecting the body's cells and tissues from damage by free-radicals and oxidation which contributes to disease and aging.
- Studies suggest that coconut oil helps with the body's resistance to bacteria and viruses, as well as fights against yeast, fungus, and candida.
- The Lauric Acid, the same substance found in mothers' breast milk, converts to monolaurin which has been shown to increase immunity against viruses and disease.
- Coconut oil is over 40% Lauric Acid which means it is one of the richest natural source available.
8. Anti-Aging Properties:
- The antioxidants in coconut oil protects our body and fights against free-radical damage which is believed to be the leading cause of aging.
9. Diabetic Friendly:
- Most fats are Long Chain fatty acids that must be broken down before they can properly be absorbed.
- MCT's (Medium Chain Triglyceride fatty acids) are easier to digest because they are sent directly to the liver.
- MCT's do not require any bile or pancreatic enzymes for digestion since it has such a direct route to the liver.
- Coconut oil is considered healthy for diabetics and people with gallbladder complications.
10. Promotes Good skin and Hair:
- Coconut oil is very rich in Vitamin E which helps heal, store, and protect the skin from environmental exposure
- It is an extremely effective moisturizer for skin and hair.
- The antioxidants in coconut oil also assists against the aging process because of its protection from free-radical damage.
- Coconut oil also has natural antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties which helps your skin against blemishes and breakouts.
11. Good Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acid:
- Omega 3 fatty acids are extremely crucial for good health.
- The recommended Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio should be 1:1, however, most people's ratio is closer to 50:1 because most cooking oils contain Omega 6 fatty acids.
- Consuming coconut oil helps even out the ratio.
12. Better For Cooking:
- Coconut oil is preferred for cooking as it has a higher smoke point than that of olive oil which comparable benefits. Once an oil exceeds its smoke point it loses all its nutrients and even turns rancid. This is when your oil can actually turn on you and become toxic. Rancid and burnt oil can promote free radicals galore! So it is best to keep your oils from reaching its maximum smoke point.
- The anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties in coconut oil helps it keep a longer shelf life as it does not oxidize or go rancid easily.
- Rancid oils cause free radical damage which causes disease.
Coconut Oil Coffee Recipe:
- 2 Cups Brewed Coffee
- 1 Tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon or Favorite Seasoning (Optional)
- Pour brewed coffee into your blender and add coconut oil and option ingredients.
- Blend on high speed for roughly 10 seconds or until mixture is well incorporated and turns a light creamy color.
- Serve hot
- Our rule of thumb is to add 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil per serving
- Adding too much Coconut Oil will cause the excess to separate on top of the coffee which will harden as the coffee cools. This can be unpleasant to drink but if you drink it while its hot, it shouldn't be an issue.
The Best Coconut Oil Should You Buy
Just like everything else online, when you search for the best coconut oil to buy, you'll be bombarded with plenty of options and sifting through all of those options can be very confusing. Well, we want to make it a bit easier for you. We've tried a lot of different coconut oils and the best we've tried so far is Nature's Way Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
Nature's Way Coco Oil contains a great amount of MCT's or "good fats" the body uses to produce more energy...which is why your coffee feeling will last so much longer! Plus, coco oil can aid in weight loss and has GREAT benefits for skin and hair care!